In each country a series of assessments is carried out under the BIOFIN workbook:
- Institutional review
- Policy review
- Expenditure review
- Financial gap assessment
- Resource mobilization strategy
The work elements are embedded in an overarching transformative process including:
- Fostering of inter-ministerial linkages and collaboration: Setting up or strengthening existing inter-ministerial committees, with a strong role of the Ministry of Finance
- Conducting key stakeholder engagement meetings and trainings: Initial & final national inter-ministerial dialogue; Training on the BIOFIN methodology
- Capacity building: The project process is carried out by national experts, expertise gained to benefit future decision making.
- Building awareness & making a business case for biodiversity: Ensuring high-level ownership and follow up on results.
A wider group of countries is supported to enhance resource mobilisation through regional workshops and sharing of resources on online platforms.